----- Original Message ----- From: "Jason"

Looks like a compiler bug.

weren't you using a gcc-4.6 prerelease?

Yes, I was using (as I normally do):
gcc version 4.6.0 20100414 (experimental) (GCC)

I also have built mpir-2.3.1 using:
gcc version 4.4.4 20100306 (prerelease) [svn/rev.157253 - mingw-w64/oz] (GCC)

With that 4.4.4 compiler there's no problem with a generic build, but I still get the same errors when assembler is involved.

And I've just now installed:
gcc version 4.7.0 20110410 (experimental) (GCC)

It builds mpir-2.3.1 just fine .... and with assembler, too. Yay !!

just try another install in another directory
, and make sure your path includes nothing from the old install

I've just given that a go and it doesn't help with the assembler build - I still get the same errors. (Didn't bother checking the generic build.) My path never includes the location of any compilers, so that won't have been an issue. (My compiler always gets found according to what's specified in etc/fstab.)

Looks like both my 4.6.0 and 4.4.4 contain a bug that has since been fixed.
Might have to give 4.6.0 the flick, which is a pity. It has done a power of work, and very reliably (until it had to confront yasm).

Is there any point in digging deeper ?
The problem has a clearly identifying signature - and the fix is (apparently) to install a newer build of the compiler.

AC_MSG_WARN([+----------------------------------------------------------])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| Cannot determine global symbol prefix.])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| $NM output doesn't contain a global data symbol.])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| Will proceed with no underscore.])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| If this is wrong then you'll get link errors referring])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| to ___gmpn_add_n (note three underscores).])
   AC_MSG_WARN([| In this case do a fresh build with an override,])
   AC_MSG_WARN([|     ./configure gmp_cv_asm_underscore=yes])

and try no

I gave that a go before trying the 4.7.0 compiler but , other than the config.log reporting "no" instead of "yes", it made no difference afaict. I still got the same 'undefined reference' errors, and the global symbol prefix was unchanged. (I liked the hackish idea, but.)

Thanks for taking the time to persevere with me.

Cheers,
Rob