On 07/11/2011 11:21, Cactus wrote:
> I have just installed the Visual Studio Developer Preview 11.
>
> Note that, in addition to installing Visual Studio 11, the YASM
> assembler -- vsyasm.exe -- has to be copied into the directory holding
> the VC++ version 11 binaries.

I've got a copy of vsyasm.exe in both:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 11.0\VC\bin\vsyasm.exe

and

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\VC\bin\vsyasm.exe

As far as I can tell, that bit works.

> After the automatic upgrade of the version 10 build files to the
> version 11 format, VC++ v11 built both MPIR and the tests perfectly
> with the IDE based build files.  And all tests passed.

I've tried again... a freshly extracted mpir_2.4.0, and a fresh instance
of visual studio 2011.  I get different behaviour today (though I'm not
aware of anything substantially different, from an end-user perspective,
between this and my previous attempts... same software; same source
code; same general approach... though, of course, I can't be sure that I
took exactly the same steps in exactly the same order.

On my most recent build attempt to build using the VS11 ide, 2 projects
succeeded - and 7 failed, generating 18865 lines of warnings/errors,
some of which look very suspicious.  A common message is:

"The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another
process."

I've bzipped all the errors that arose when I did 'Build solution"
immediately after a successful upgrade of the build files - attached, FYI.

There's definitely something awry - perhaps it's a concurrency issue
with the build environment/solution?

> I have had a look at the command line build (which I don't use or
> maintain - this is Jason's baby).
>
> I would not expect these to work unless you extensively edit them
> since a lot of the paths are hardcoded to pick up the Visual Studio 10
> tools.

I've started delving through these - and have to admit - it would
probably take quite a while to establish why gen_mpir_h.bat is eating
"!" characters (just for me?) ... and that's before I wonder about
hard-coded paths.  I'd assumed that these paths would all come from the
environment - as each different install of compiler tools comes with a
'configured command prompt' that ensures consistency... and makes it
easy to build from a command line in a variety of environments without
altering build scripts for each.

> I am happy to help in getting the IDE builds to work for you with VC++
> 11 but you will need to work with Jason if you want to use the command
> line builds.

With a 'selfish' hat on, I don't much care which approach I use...
though I'm happy to help where I can, and suspect others, in future,
would appreciate both approaches. The VS builds pave the way for
developers to delve into the source - while the command line builds make
it easier to just 'use' the library when building projects that just
depend upon it.

> Another alternative if you have a modern Python installed (2.7, 3.x)
> is to use my experimental mpir_config.py to generate a VC++ 10 IDE
> build and then use VC++ 11 to automatically convert it to the version
> 11 format. But this should not be different to using an existing
> upgraded build so its a bit of a 'last straw'

I do have Python - though I've not tried mpir_config.py... I suspect it
would just show similar problems to those with the supplied solution
files... I don't think anything went wrong with the upgrade of the
solution/project files... Perhaps the glitches appear for me on account
of my OS and hardware?  I'm building on a laptop with an i5 processor,
6Gb RAM and Windows-7 "home".