Hello,

not trying to discourage you from using MPIR in any way, but I noticed a
couple things:

In terms of license and support for Windows this fork of the library seems
> much stronger.

MPIR uses the same license as GMP (it regularly imports code from it), so I
fail to see how the license makes you prefer MPIR.

> I have also noticed that it also supports cygwin64 and other variants
> which I need. This is leading me to consider a switch, distributing a
> trimmed down versiĆ³n of MPIR (no tests, probably no docs) replacing the
> copy of GMP.
>
> However, while building MPIR with my copy of Visual Studio Express 2012 I
> noticed that it would not work because it does not support it yet and
> because MPIR assumes yasm is present. Since ECL tries to build
> out-of-the-box with just a minimal set of tools, I have made a github fork
> that changes configure.bat and make.bat to allow building in just C format.
> This is sub-optimal, but users should be able to build better copies of
> MPIR if they wish.

If you only need a minimal version without the strongest optimizations, did
you consider using mini-gmp (distributed with GMP as a single C file)?