Hi fwjmath,

On 27 February 2014 14:19, fwjmath <fwjm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am cooperating with a volunteer computing project (yoyo@home, if anyone
> knows it), and I need MPIR to build a performance-crucial application on
> Windows that will be run on heterogenous CPU. The last version I built also
> uses MPIR, and I am really grateful of all your work.
>
> This time, since the performance of the arbitrary-precision arithmetic is
> extremely important, a fat binary is needed. I downloaded the master branch
> from Git, and I used mingw64 on msys as build environment, with the
> following option for configure
>
> ./configure --disable-fft --disable-shared --enable-fat
>
> The "make" and "make check" were successful, but when compiling the
> application, mingw64-g++ hinted that there are duplicated symbols, namely
> g?mpn_k8_redc_1 in mpn/bobcat/redc_1.asm and ?mpn_core2_redc_1 in
> mpn/sandybridge/redc_1.asm. I did a renaming to get rid of this problem,
> and the application compiles.

Thanks for the report. We will look into this one before the release.

> But then when I tested it against another build with the following option
>
> ./configure --disable-fft --disable-shared
>
> the fat binary is slower by about 10%.

The fat binary should be slower. The fat binary uses a runtime lookup table
of functions for a variety of processors which slows many things down.

> Furthermore, comparing to GMP on cygwin64, there is also a large slowdown.
> Here are some rough timing:
>
> msys-mpir-fat ~60min
> msys-mpir-nofat ~55min
> cygwin64-gmp-nofat ~40min

Cygwin uses a different ABI to msys. So I expect the times to be different.

I'm not saying that for your particular application GMP won't be faster.
That's possible, as we haven't finished with performance improvements for
this release yet (and sometimes they are faster than us and vice versa even
when we do make a release).

> I was not able to build MPIR on cygwin, it was more or less stucked when
> building libmpn.la with libtool. I have used the --with-system-yasm
> option (or else it complains on cygwin-style symbolic links).

Thanks again for the report. Obviously the master branch is not ready for a
release yet!