From: mpir-devel@googlegroups.com [mailto:mpir-devel@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Bill Hart
Sent: Friday, May 8, 2015 4:44 AM
To: mpir-devel
Subject: Re: [mpir-devel] Prebuilt binaries?

On 8 May 2015 at 13:07, Brian Gladman
<b...@gladman.plus.com<mailto:b...@gladman.plus.com>> wrote:
On 08/05/2015 00:05, Dann Corbit wrote:
> After building the debug version of the x64 projects, I get linker errors.
> I have to do a project clean, and then I can debug.
> But then I get linker errors with the release version of the project:
> 46>------ Rebuild All started: Project: mpf.get_si, Configuration: Release
> x64 ------
> 38>  ERROR Last MPIR build was \x64\Debug, not lib\x64\Release
> 40>  ERROR Last MPIR build was \x64\Debug, not lib\x64\Release
> 40>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "..\check_config x64 Release
> 40>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 1.
> 47>------ Rebuild All started: Project: mpf.get_ui, Configuration: Release
> x64 ------
> 38>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "..\check_config x64 Release
> 38>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 1.
> 39>  ERROR Last MPIR build was \x64\Debug, not lib\x64\Release
> 39>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "..\check_config x64 Release
> 39>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 1.
> 9>  ERROR Last MPIR build was \x64\Debug, not lib\x64\Release
> 9>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: The command "..\check_config x64 Release
> 9>C:\Program Files
> (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(122,5):
> error MSB3073: :VCEnd" exited with code 1.
>
> Everything is in separate folders (even the header files).
> Why is this strangeness necessary?
> I have never seen any other software behave this way.
>
> I guess that I can always do a clean and rebuild for the entire solution
> every time I want to debug or release something, but that seems pretty
> bizarre.

Hi Dann,

Reflecting on your comment on a new day (I am in the UK and I have been
up all night watching our general election results!), I suspect that you
have misunderstood how the build works.

Once you have built any MPIR library, you can then use it to build,
debug and/or release any application that depends on it with no need
whatsoever to rebuild the MPIR library you are using. As you say, each
library configuration is placed in a separate subdirecctory so, as you
rightly expect, each configuration can be frrely used with no need to
rebuild it unless you have changed the MPIR source code in some way.

It is only when you wish to run the _test_ suite that you may need to do
an MPIR rebuild.  This is because the test suite is a separate build
project and it has to be told which MPIR library configuration it should
test (LIB|DLL, Release|Debug, Win32|x64) since any or all of the eight
different configurations may exist.

This is done by assuming that the test suite is run against the last
library configuration that has been built (when a library configuration
is built it writes a file 'output_params.bat' that the tests then use to
check if the test suite is configured correctly to test this version).

But I stress that this _only_ applies to the running of the test suite.
Moreover, you can change this if you wish to by editing
'output_params.bat' as explained in the readme.txt file.

I hope this helps you to understand how the MPIR build works.

I shoud also mention that I have Visual Studio build projects for MPFR
and MPC but those on my web site are out of date so I will need to
update them (or send them to you) if you would like to use them.

The other thing I should mention is that Microsoft is now releasing a
fully featured version of Visual Studio called Visual Studio Community,
which is completely free for open source use.  Visual Studio 2013
Community and Visual Studio 2015 Community RC have now been released and

This is great news Brian. I am really appreciating the new Open Source friendly
Microsoft.

Now if they would just add 64 bit inline assembly to their x64 compiler....

I am now using the latter for all ongoing MPIR development of MPIR on
Windows.

   with my regards,

     Brian

Thanks for the explanations about how things work.
I have the free editions which I use at home.
I have the zillion dollar versions which I use at work.
<<