On 19 June 2015 at 16:40, <sisyph...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> -----Original Message----- From: leif
> Sent: Friday, June 19, 2015 11:51 PM
> To: mpir-devel@googlegroups.com
> Subject: Re: [mpir-devel] Re: MPIR MinGW installation - "undefined
> reference to '_imp____gmpz_init'
>
>  You can also use GNU Binutils' 'dlltool' to create M$-compatible import
>> libraries (*.LIB).
>>

> Interesting .... I didn't know that.
> I've built mingw-compatible import libs from dynamic libs in the past with:
>
> gendef xxxx.dll (creates xxxx.def)
> dlltool --kill-at --input-def xxxx.def--output-lib libxxxx.a
>
> Is that output libxxxx.a also M$-compatible ?  .... even though the
> libxxxx.a that gets built as part of the routine mingw build is (I gather)
> not.
> Or does it require different flags to achieve the M$-compatibility ?

So that second line creates a .a file?

According to this page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_archive_formats

.a is almost exclusively used for unix style static libraries. I can't see
that as a necessary step in the creating of a dynamic library for use on
Windows. Are you sure this step is required/correct?

Bill.