On 19 June 2015 at 16:46, Brian Gladman <b...@gladman.plus.com> wrote:

> On 19/06/2015 15:28, 'Bill Hart' via mpir-devel wrote:
>
> > Anyhow the error message above suggests something is linking against
> > MPIR but the linker is somehow looking for an internal symbol (it's
> > something to do with the complicated way symbols are handled in MinGW).
> > This could be because your system PATH is not set to include the
> > directory where the dll file is.
>
> On Windows it is possible to link directly to a DLL but this is more
> normally done through a stub-library.
>
> So on a native build on Windows the mpir.dll is accompanied by the stub
> library mpir.lib.  So an app links to the stub library which then links
> to the DLL itself.  IIRC a symbol 'sym' in the DLL becomes '__imp__sym'
> in the stub library so it seems to me that the mingw/GCC build system is
> not producing a stub library.

That sounds right to me. The mingw build doesn't produce a .lib file (stub
library). You have to create one if you want to use the dll produced by
mingw.

In fact, the stub library is apparently not required to use the dll with
mingw, which I guess is why it doesn't create one. Internally, it uses the
Microsoft linker, but I don't completely understand the precise mechanism.

Bill.