No we don't know what the bug is.

I would guess that absolutely nothing stops the tuning program from
generating invalid values (except that for the two algorithms in question
there are no "invalid values").

The bug is in *all likelihood* caused by the tuning program never having
been run for those arches. But if you want to be quite paranoid about it,
check the two values in question are set to 0 by the tuning program and
that the bug is no longer present after you run it. This will ensure the
more recent algorithm is not run. By the law of averages, the more recent
algorithm is more likely to contain a real bug than the old one. But again,
this has nothing to do with "invalid values".

You only get "invalid values" if you don't run the tuning program, which we
didn't. Unless the tuning program also has a bug, which is possible. But
that would be a completely independent bug since we know the tuning program
has never been run on these arches.

Bill.