On 12 May 2016 at 14:54, Brian Gladman <b...@gladman.plus.com> wrote:

> On 12/05/2016 12:52, 'Bill Hart' via mpir-devel wrote:
> > Hi Brian,
> >
> > I don't think the superoptimiser can be made to run on Windows.
> > Experience dictates timings are not stable enough to run a
> > superoptimiser, and we don't have the resources to port it. Alex is only
> > with us another month and the person we hire to replace him will be
> > working on actually using the superoptimiser, not further development of
> it.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> That is disapointing.  But, timing issues apart, is it written with
> portability in mind?

No, that's not been possible.

We had to start with an existing asm Jit library. This would need to be
ported first.

> I ask because I am suspicious that unless i can run it myself, MPIR on
> Windows x64 will simply not get the attention it needs in maintaining a
> good level of performance.

That's possible of course.

We will make the code available publicly, and you are welcome to try and
port it if you want.

> > We've discussed alternatives though, such as optimising it for the
> > Windows ABI on Linux (i.e. feed the data in through different registers
> > than normal). We haven't checked, but it seems like it might be feasible.
>
> At least we should be able to work as I did with Jason, that is taking
> the gcc assembler, adding register exchanges, prologues and epilogues,
> and then converting to Intel syntax for yasm.  But I really hoped that
> we might do better than this.

As I said, we might be able to. It depends how long Alex takes to finish
the work he is doing, and how capable his replacement is.

> Anyway, what is the priority for new assembler code going into the MPIR
> repository?  I must admit that my development machine is getting rather
> dated (ivybridge) so I won't be able to do much with the more recent
> additions such as FMA and the like.  Which is partly why I was hoping to
> run the superoptimiser myself as I can't see older machines getting much
> priority.

Our priority is on each of the complete microarchitecture redesigns Intel
and AMD have done. However, we are severely limited in what we have access
to.

We have a Haswell and Jens has a Skylake. On the AMD side we have nothing
recent. I'm considering purchasing a recent AMD machine and maybe later a
recent Intel.