Here is the part I don't understand.

Hundreds of homeowners in the flight paths of the
airport are getting new doors, new windows, new air
conditioners and other things added to their homes
free of charge because they have to deal with noise
issues from airplanes.  Many of the recipients of the
MAC 150 sound insulation program are middle to upper
income people.

We have hundreds of houses that have significant lead
issues in them. These houses would benefit majorly
from new windows, new doors and probably central air
conditioning as well.  More importantly, this
remediation in these houses would prevent hundreds of
children from life altering harm as a result of
exposure to lead.

I am glad for the people who live by the airport and
their ability to leverage resources to alleviate the
noise problems in their homes.

I just wonder what the advocacy has been for people
living in homes where there is lead? What incentives
are there for landlords to address the problem?  I
know the city had a few programs but nothing that
lasted over the long haul and certainly none that
covered a large number of homes.  I am not sure what
the county has done to help this situation and I am
not sure what Federal dollars were available for this
issue. I believe the cities 10,000 windows program was
funded by federal dollars. Phillips dealt with it to a
minor degree in their NRP plan. Corcoran also
addressed the issue slightly in their NRP plan.

If anyone out there has more historical information as
to why removing lead from homes has not been and is
not as high a priority as insulating people's homes
for airplane noise, I would like to know. It just
doesn't seem right. Lead removal deserves to take at
least the same priority.

Barb Lickness
Whittier

=====
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the
world.  Indeed,
it's the only thing that ever has." -- Margaret Mead

http://platinum.yahoo.com

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.