If I were running for Park Board, I could not ask for a better example of
something that should not have happened at a Park Board meeting.
 During last night's meeting (February 2nd) the Standards and Conduct
Committee of the
Minneapolis Parks and Recreation Board passed a motion  to change OPEN TIME
for
public comment from 6:00 pm to 4:45 pm at  future meetings. They did this to
intentionally limit access to folks that work  from 9 to 5 and to make sure
that the public comment is never part of  their broadcast. They also sought to
limit access by making the sign up  process to speak to the Board more arduous.
I only heard the end of this  proposal because I work until 5 and arrived
during the discussion.

This is such a bad idea for so many reasons that it just makes you
wonder...this, at a meeting where the longest discussion was about log  rolling.

So what happens now? How can someone like Bob Fine not realize that now a
bunch of people will have to show up for next month's televised open time  and
focus on the conduct of the commissioners instead of other pertinent  park
issues.

Scott  Vreeland             Seward

(A supporter of Lumber industry history and Lumberjack events at the  North
Interpretive Park)