From:   Steve Muller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent:   Fri 05/07/2002 11:17
To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:             One or Many reply queues for Clients?
Hi all,

Part of our MQ environment is OS/390 (2.1) and NT
(5.2). We will have about 190 NT clients connected to
OS/390. These NT client apps will send a request and
get their replies from OS/390, based on a correlid.
More than 90% of these requests will be queries. We
are estimating that, for all the 190 clients combined,
 there will be about 50 requests and  roughly
50-10000 replies per sec. The turn-around time is
expected  by the user to be 2-12 sec based on the
importance of the request.

I am thinking that we can have either:
1-      One reply queue that would be serviced by all the
clients, OR
2-      A dedicated reply queue for each client.

In the scenario 1:  I know that a  qualified GET
would be slower from a queue with a high Q-depth (I
know indexing could be used ). As far as I can see,
the major downside to this approach would be if
something goes wrong with this queue all the clients
would suffer.

In  the scenario 2: If we have a dedicated reply queue
for each client, MQ admin would not be very happy but
the retrieval of the  msgs would be faster (even if we
used qualified Gets). And a problem with one queue
would not effect the rest of the reply queues

What do you think?   Your insights would be much
appreciated.

Regards,

Steve