It will work as long as you have an older copy of MA88.  The newer versions won't run with JRE 1.3.1 but the older ones work fine.  I have had success using MA88 from August 2001 on Domino 5.0.8 with MQSeries 5.2.  Since in Domino you set the classpath in the notes.ini, you can even have different versions of the MQ jars on the machine that won't affect other applications.  If you have your Java app running outside Domino, like using CORBA, this is more complicated.

Mike Murphy
Sr. Middleware Consultant

MQ Solutions, LLC
http://www.mqsolutions.com