Paul,

"What's the difference between a fully qualified SVR channel and a SDR
then?"
Consider the following definitions:

QMGRA
def chl(sDr.to.b) chltype(sdr) conname(b)
def chl(sVr.to.b) chltype(svr) conname(b)

QMGRB
def chl(sdr.to.b) chltype(RQSTR) conname(a)
def chl(svr.to.b) chltype(RQSTR) conname(a)

QMGRC
def chl(sdr.to.b) chltype(RQSTR) conname(a)
def chl(svr.to.b) chltype(RQSTR) conname(a)

If you are on QMgr B and start the channels, you won't see any difference
between them.  On the other hand, if you start the channels from C, SVR.TO.B
will connect to you on C while SDR.TO.B will start a channel to B.

"Why would you use one?"
We've found some uses for implementing failover configurations. We
considered them a security risk and of limited use for quite a while, back
before we had Joergen's BlockIP exit.

"Also, in the RQSTR-SDR configuration, do you turn triggering off for the
SDR channel's Xmitq to prevent the channel going into retry?"
Not at our shop, anyway although I'm guessing some do.  In all cases, we opt
to let the messages flow to their final destination rather than batching
them up.  We just don't bother with RCVRs at all and always use RQSTRs.
We've found that having RQSTRs in place helps us recover from some outages
where we do not have visibility to the remote QMgr and are generally
convenient to have around.  We've surprised a number of our vendors and
business partners by starting their SDR channels when they failed to
trigger.

-- T.Rob

What's the difference between a fully qualified SVR channel and a SDR then?
Why would you use one?

Also, in the RQSTR-SDR configuration, do you turn triggering off for the SDR
channel's Xmitq to prevent the channel going into retry?

Cheers,
Paul