Hello Andre,

Do the messages you're counting always traverse a channel?

If any are put locally then you'll miss them with the channel status
technique.  You'll likely miss some anyway, especially if you have
clients, depending how often you check and how long the channels live.
Plus you need to determine if you're looking at new or pre-existing
channel instances to determine how to increment your values.

Using a channel message exit you shouldn't miss any messages traversing
non-client channels but it is a bit on the complex side.  You can count
client messages using send/rcv exit(s) but that's a bit more
complicated.  I've used those methods and they do work well though.

If all you need to do is count messages, i.e. don't need a byte count,
then the ResetQueueStatistics PCF command is generally the ticket.  It's
very easy to do using perl, and not difficult in java, etc.  If you do
need a byte count and don't mind writing exits you might take a look at
capturing relevant information from MQPUT[1]/MQGET calls in an API exit.

Buying something works too.

HTH,
Marty

van Zyl, Andre wrote:

Thanks for all the ideas. I think that the best would be to purchase
some lightweight WMQ monitoring tool, else if 100% accuracy is not an
issue, one can simply look at channel / queue stats figures at regular
intervals to compile the required information as required.

Andre