From: Wyatt, T. Rob [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 11, 2004 8:04 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RCVR versus RQSTR channels

Peter,

We have connections to a number of service bureaus and business partners.
Sometimes the users call to say an expected message is overdue and we see
the channel is down.  This can mean any number of things that generally fall
into two categories - 1) triggering is broken or 2) the app is broken.
Either way we call the 3rd party's help desk and work our way from Tier 1
Support up.  This can take a while, especially if we escalate to MQ Support
for an application problem or vice versa.  Starting the channel does two
things.  First, this narrows down the problem.  If the channel starts and no
message is received, we escalate to the app support group at the third party
site.  If we get a message when the channel starts, it's a triggering
problem and we get the MQ folks on the line.  In the second case we can keep
the channel up manually until the third party's MQ support team come on the
line.

Some of our interfaces are time-sensitive and failure to deliver messages
before the daily cutoff date results in potential fines, interest and
contractual penalties.  In at least a couple of instances starting the RQSTR
channel has kept us from missing the deadlines and incurring the financial
consequences.  Not bad for some free advice I picked up off this list years
ago!

-- T.Rob