Hi,

First of all, many thanks to all who responded.  It is always good to know
that you are not alone!

As regards our problem, we now know for certain that the messages were
non-persistent.  They all disappeared following a scheduled re-start of the
system!  Our developers are hurriedly changing their code to force
persistence.

I have re-discovered the MS0G SupportPack
(http://www-3.ibm.com/software/ts/mqseries/txppacs/ms0g.html).  It promises
to be very useful.  It should provide the insight we need when (if?) the
problem re-appears.  I can hardly wait ;-)

        Regards, Alan