From: MQSeries List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Clarke
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2004 5:20 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fw: Why running rcdmqimg would free up linear log?

John,

I passed your question on to our logging expert here in Hursley and this was
his response.

"It appears that the customer hasn't fully understood the concepts of media
recovery and checkpointing. The queue manager doesn't "release" old logs
needed for media recovery. The queue manger identifies the logs needed to
perform media recovery, if an old log is needed to perform media recovery
and media images are taken of all objects then the old log should no longer
be required for media recovery and is thus eligible to be "released" by the
customer.

Checkpointing is related to limiting the amount of log replay necessary for
restart recovery, it has almost nothing to do with media recovery."

I hope that helps,
Cheers,
P.

Paul G Clarke
WebSphere MQ Development
IBM Hursley

> ----- Forwarded by Paul Clarke/UK/IBM on 29/06/2004 09:15 -----
>
> John Elgie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent by: MQSeries List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> 29/06/2004 00:59
>
> Please respond to
> MQSeries List

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> Why running rcdmqimg would free up linear log?
>
> I am running a 5.3.0.5 qmgr on aix. We had a qmgr with linear logs
> that was not releasing an old log that it needed for media recovery.
> There were no outstanding transactions from dspmqtrn. Running rcdmqimg
> -m qmgr -t all \* immediately released the old log for media recovery.
> Support docs. specifically say the rcdmqimg does NOT do log
> checkpointing. Is this a co-incidence? or is there another
reason?
> John Elgie
> 8-3777 Kingsway, Burnaby, V5H 3Z7
> Desk: (604)432-4675
> Cell:   (604)315-7940

Instructions for managing your mailing list subscription are provided in the
Listserv General Users Guide available at http://www.lsoft.com