David,

I had a similar question running Redhat Enterprise Server 3 running WMQ v5.3.  The PMR response I received from IBM was to run with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19

LD_ASSUME_KERNEL forces every process running on the server to use Linux threads.  Somewhere I found the env var AMQ_THREADMODEL_RESET=1.  From what I read, this forces WMQ to use Linux Threads, but does not effect other processes.  They will still be able to use NPTL.  Unfortunately, I don't remember where I read this and google isn't helping this time.

Jason Antonitis
Sr. MQ Administrator, SSG/Data Services
Information Systems and Services Division
Transunion, LLC.
(312) 985-2742

>>> "David C. Partridge" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 06/29/2004 6:10:39 AM >>>
I know there was a discussion about this while back, and IIRC the consensus
was that you should set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5 to run MQ 5.3 on RHL 9.0.

Is this really the right value - or should I be using
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1?

The reason I ask this is that MQ 5.3 is running fine on my RHL 8 system with
kernel level 2.4.20 with no specific LD_ASSUME_KERNEL settings and should
therefore be using the "floating stacks" version of LinuxThreads by default
(rather than the original LinuxThreads version which a 2.2.5 value would
force).

Has this changed with recent CSDs (i.e. does MQ 5.3 plus CSD?? now have the
fixes to work correctly with both LinuxThreads and NPTL?)?

Do user applications using the QM need this setting or is it just the queue
manager processes?

What about the IBM JDK/JRE? Does that need this as well?

Thanks,
David