Most, if not all, monitoring products use a local agent that runs as a
server-side MQ app, and that agent communicates out-of-band with a central
server monitoring app.  If you rely on MQ as the comm transport and MQ has
problems, e.g. channel, outage, etc., then you can't relay any meaningful
status back to the central monitor.  I suppose it all depends on how far
you want to take it before you realize it might be more cost effective to
buy a solution.

             "Miller, Dennis"
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             Sent by: MQSeries         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             List                                                       cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             n.AC.AT>                                              Subject
                                       Re: Connecting to more than one
                                       queue managers on solaris, linux
             08/31/2004 08:13
             PM

             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 n.AC.AT>

I understand your hesitance to use MQ client for such an app. But think
about what you are really asking.  An app on one server with MQM
credentials for other servers?  An app on one server with access to MQM
internals on another server? Hmmm...

I'm sure you know that without MQ-Client, you cannot even connect to a
single QMgr across servers, much less multitudes of them. So, if your
thinking about monitoring even one qmgr by an app running on a different
system, you are talking about some sort of client model, by definition.

But it needn't necessarily be the MQ client. You could for example,
write a monitoring agent and run it locally on each qmgr. The user
interface for your monitoring app is then a client to these agents,
requesting services and receiving replies from them. If you are
so-inclined, you can even conduct the request/reply exchanges using
local connections and MQ messages (although, depending on what you are
doing, one might question the wisdom of running a monitoring application
in-band like that).

It is somewhat analagous to how the command server works, only
customized to your specific requirements.