Hello folks,

after setting up a development environment for Musescore I was thinking
awhile about contributing to this amazing project.

The first thing that came to my mind was the OMR feature. I already read
several topics in the user forum full of criticism regarding the Optical
Music Recognition in general.

I'm aware that this topic would most likely start a long controversial
debate. Nevertheless, I assume it would be nice to have this OMR feature
because I've found out in my daily work as musician that partially working
solution is better than no solution at all.

I'd like to volunteer myself for working on tighter coupling between
Musescore and Audiveris. The existing (one way) method of communication
between these two apps via plugin mechanism has been proven to be very
limited and less useful for real-world transcription work due to the
following drawbacks:

---> Audiveris doesn't provide a musician-friendly WYSIWYG editor. Although
it offers several possibilities to drive the recognition process at the
graphical level, it's almost always better and faster to work at the
notation level.
---> Before a document processed by Audiveris, especially one with missing
notes and rhythmical errors, can be imported in Musescore, it has to be
fully fixed in Audiveris. Otherwise, the resulting MS score will look like a
mess. There is currently no way to cope with partial or erroneous
recognition results.

Therefore, I'd like to propose the following roadmap:

On Audiveris' side:

1) design a Java API for use within C++ applications providing methods for:
---> setting up recognition documents
---> passing user options and configuration parameters for processing
---> run the recognition either on the full score or any part of
---> retrieving score bitmaps
---> retrieving recognition results
---> providing Audiveris' OMR engine with "error reports" derived from user
corrections

On Musescore's side:
---> extend the OMR pane with the possibility to choose either Werner's OMR
or Audiveris
---> design a C++ bridge for calling Audiveris API
---> provide an amended score editor ontop of libmusescore for quickly
correcting recognition errors in a musician-friendly way

Now I'm very anxious about reading your comments!
Best regards
Maxim