First of all welcome aboard Maxim :)

I have a lot of experience working with MIDI as I used to program backing
tracks to earn my daily bread at the turn of the century.

At the time I was using 4 XG modules and a Roland JV1010 to provide the
means to render the tracks, 2 on internal sound cards and another 3 external
modules connected on a 4 port external USB interface.

This was enough to render full orchestral backing tracks to a WAV file in
one go using Cakewalk Sonar 3.

As David notes, the traditional method is to assign ports and channels to
various sections of the score, and this is the way I would go personally.

If you start assigning MIDI ports to every stave you are going to run into
limits imposed by the sound modules and/or OSs - for example there is a 10
device/port limit imposed by Windows XP.

I have been saying for some time that we need direct control over which
channel MuseScore assigns to an instrument, and to me this is the way
forward.

Before you jump in and start altering the mixer winder UI, be aware that
there is a proposal to incorporate the mixer controls in the Instrument
Selection dialogue, driven by the desire to be able to select Instrument and
which sound from which soundfont from one interface rather than having to
have two windows open.

It would make sense, therefore to have an extension to the Instrument
selection window which gave direct control over MIDI port and channel, but
which can remain hidden for users who don't need such level of control.

Here is a link to the discussion in Technology preview:-
http://musescore.org/en/node/24685
This is in its infancy and needs a lot more work before it can be
implemented - we're all far too busy trying to get MuseScore 2 released :)
But once that has happened we can maybe work on it for the next release.

Incidentally - improving the JACK interface seems to me to be a good way
forward to eventually providing VSTi support.

Regards
Michael

-----
Regards