Thanks to David for unearthing the original source of these data
(palaeo-organology?).

ChurchOrganist wrote
> I suspect the multitude of guitars have been added to cater for mariachi
> bands which, according to Wikipedia use several sizes of guitars.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar#Acoustic_guitars
>
> The alto guitar is in very common use as a young children's instrument,
> but in my experience is tuned a minor third higher than a conventional
> guitar, not the fourth higher you mention.

Thanks for these two precisations. All of this however leaves us with the
problem of what to do with all these instruments.

A) We leave everything as it is (easy!), hoping that the data provided will
satisfy the majority of the users.

B) We remove instruments not used widely enough and/or for which
unquestionable data cannot be provided or agreed upon (we should not forget
that an occasionally used instrument can be obtained 'recycling' and
adapting a similar instrument, at least on a per-score basis). Who decides?

I have no idea if writing for the /mariachi/ accounts for a significant part
of the Musescore user base; for instance I noticed the lack of the
/guitarron/ which is used over a large part of the Spanish-speaking world
(in several different variants, I'm sure!) but we need to draw a line
somewhere. Practical suggestions from peoples with specific knowledge and
experience would help.

> There are many different tunings for Pedal Steel that you would probably
> need to provide several different tabs for it. The following Wikipedia
> article may help you, however....
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copedent

Thanks; I tried hard NOT to look at that page and the data it provides! Tab
templates are relatively cheap in terms of coding, but I do not feel the
/Kategorischer Imperativ/ to add templates for each and any tablature ever
used in the history of music. The longer these lists become, the harder will
be for the average user to find what he is after (I'd bet that two or three
items alone accounts for the great majority of the uses).

As the MuseScore tab structure editor allows the user to derive almost
anything in terms of tab structures for stringed instruments, only those
structures which are in 'wide enough' usage should be provided out of the
box as templates. If a few additional templates are needed/useful to match
the need of a representative number of MuseScore users, ok, but, again, we
need to draw a line somewhere.

Thanks,

Maurizio