Hi Marc, thanks for pointing out that issue.  I was beginning to wonder
something very similar from looking at the code.

The puzzling thing that I've found so far is this.

Given a Note object, I can call findAccidental on it.  However, if the note
has not yet been created, it is not clear to me how to investigate its
impending accidental-ness.

The function findAccidental can also be called with a segment, staff index
(staffIdx) and line.
Do you understand what those concepts are?   Is staffIdx an index to which
staff the note is on in a multi-staff system, or is it an index within a
staff to which line/space the note is (or will be) sitting on?
In looking at this code there seems to be two things called a position, on
of type Position, and one of type QpointF. There is also something called a
step (cf function step2pitch).

QUESTION: Is there a place in the code or documentation where these and
related concepts are explained?  It would help me to understand them.

What I think I'd like to be able to do (with regard to ornament calculation)
is think of musical notes in a staff, and trill to the note above or below
in the staff.   Thus I need to ask the question, which line/space is the
given note on?  What note would correspond to the line/space above or below
(or two above or two below) the given note?  Those questions should take
into account already the key signature, and any accidentals which are
pending within the measure to the left of the given note.