I don't know that there is documentation on this, but I can try to answer
the specific questions here according to my understanding

- staffIdx is indeed the index into the array of staves

- some note input functions use a concept of position to indicate where the
note is to be placed, the details may differ sccording to context

- QPointF is a Qt thing, just an (x,y) point.  For anything starting with
Q, you can look that up in the Qt docs.

- step is normally an integer 0 = C, 1 = D, 2 = E, etc - basically, note
name, not considering key or accidental

- Note::line() tells you what line is on.  Trying to figure out what note
corresponds to which line is exactly what the note input functions already
do - so they can determine what note to add if you press "B", or click the
middle line of the staaff.  So follow that code and you should get a good
idea of what is possible.

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Jim Newton <jimka.i...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc, thanks for pointing out that issue.  I was beginning to wonder
> something very similar from looking at the code.
>
> The puzzling thing that I've found so far is this.
>
> Given a Note object, I can call findAccidental on it.  However, if the note
> has not yet been created, it is not clear to me how to investigate its
> impending accidental-ness.
>
> The function findAccidental can also be called with a segment, staff index
> (staffIdx) and line.
> Do you understand what those concepts are?   Is staffIdx an index to which
> staff the note is on in a multi-staff system, or is it an index within a
> staff to which line/space the note is (or will be) sitting on?
> In looking at this code there seems to be two things called a position, on
> of type Position, and one of type QpointF. There is also something called a
> step (cf function step2pitch).
>
> QUESTION: Is there a place in the code or documentation where these and
> related concepts are explained?  It would help me to understand them.
>
> What I think I'd like to be able to do (with regard to ornament
> calculation)
> is think of musical notes in a staff, and trill to the note above or below
> in the staff.   Thus I need to ask the question, which line/space is the
> given note on?  What note would correspond to the line/space above or below
> (or two above or two below) the given note?  Those questions should take
> into account already the key signature, and any accidentals which are
> pending within the measure to the left of the given note.
>

> --

Marc Sabatella
m...@outsideshore.com