On 04/09/12 21:35, Sieghard wrote:
> I just wondered whether there could be any good reason to disallow access
> to a directory's worth of files if it _is_ allowed to pull the files one by
> one.

How do you pull a single file?

If you can do that, then I guess there must be a way... I just don't
know how.

Then again, if you are worried about the size of the history, you can
always tell git to clone a repository and only have one or two revisions
as the history of each branch. This will make your download considerably
smaller.

eg:
   git clone --depth 2 <repository>

> But does that make the slow 384Kb connection go away for the people that
> were around you before you moved?

Obviously not, but I do consider myself considerate. That is why I think
Online only help like what was the case with the Lazarus project was
rediculous. Before I didn't have 24/7 internet, and my internet was
expensive. So if I wanted help on Lazarus IDE, I am still forced to use
a web browser.

That's why fpGUI uses INF help files. Offline help, and the download
size is a fraction of the size of equivalent CHM or zipped HTML files.
That's just part of the reason for using the INF format, but not the
only reasons.

That's also why I use Indexed PNG images, limited to a optimised 256
color palette, to reduce the image size considerable when I do email
image attachments for a bug report etc. You can check any of my emails
with image attachments.

That's also why I ONLY send plain text emails and never HTML emails,
which are easily 4-5 times bigger than the same email in plain text.

> about their attitude. That's reckless at the very least, and ruthless in
> many cases. Inconsiderate anyway.

Yes indeed. Many people or companies are inconsiderate to those with
slow or limited internet. Canonical's Ubuntu being one of those. A
simple 'apt-get install <product>' always does a repository refresh
before it installs the product. Those refreshes download 7-10MB easily.
A nightmare for modem users. And South Africa still has lots of 56K
modem internet users.

Regards,
   - Graeme -