On 11/15/2013 09:48 PM, Sieghard wrote:
> Not even neccessarily. It could be a programmer error, e.g. such that
> he forgot to declare a variable "volatile",

Right. This just hit me some days ago when porting a program from an
ancient "MRI" C compiler to a modern gnu compiler. But even here, the
Compiler issued a "gimple" error message and declined to compile my
source code (because the function was called from within the same source
code file, the compiler would not have been able to detect the problem
when calling the function from another file.) Unfortunately it was
really hard to find out that an erroneous volatile definition was the
cause of the nasty "gimple" error.

>  Optimization can even change the program flow without creating
> errors, e.g. by more aggressive inlining of functions - remember, a
> function declared "inline" _needs not_ to be always inserted literally
> by the compiler.

That is true. But source code that is affected by that needs to be
regarded as erroneous.

-Michael