On Wednesday 02 December 2015 14:13:55 Saša Janiška wrote:
> On Uto, 2015-12-01 at 15:36 +0100, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> > In addition to what Graeme writes I like to mention that MSEide+MSEgui
> > because of its well-engineered RAD approach and the unique
> > architecture probably is the most productive environment for complex
> > projects. MSEide+MSEgui "simply works".
>
> Is that "it simply works" the reason why there is not much, afaict, docs
> available?

Probably. If one gets the principles working with MSEide+MSEgui is easy. Most
problems do have people who came from Delphi and search for the same
structure and API. I can understand it because I worked with Delphi for many
years too, starting with Turbo Pascal 4 to Delphi1..Delphi7. And because of
that knowledge I made MSEide+MSEgui different than Delphi because I wanted to
double productivity. That goal has been reached for my projects BTW.

Probably it is also too easy to ask questions here on the mailinglist. ;-)

*** Maybe MSEide+MSEgui users can write how they work with MSEide+MSEgui, how
it goes and why the documentation process is so slow and scattered? ***

Some introduction is here:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/MSEide_&_MSEgui
A beginner course (German) with examples:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mseuniverse/files/book/
Examples and tools:
https://gitlab.com/mseuniverse/mseuniverse/tree/master

> > Because the use of platform specific widget sets Lazarus is figthing a
> > loosing battle against ever changing toolkits and platform
> > incompatibilities.
>
> That's true.
>
> > As MSEgui fpGUI does no suffer from these problems but fpGUI has less
> > functionality compared with MSEgui.
>
> Can you, please, mention some considering I'm not familiar with both of
> them?

MSEgui has a well-proven and flexible architecture. I find more and more
MSEgui ideas in fpGUI too. ;-)
For example the fpGUI predecessor made by Sebastian Günther had a single
OS-handle per form, same as MSEgui had from start. fpGUI then switched to a
handle per widget approach although I warned Graeme about the consequences.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FpGUI
Only now fpGUI again uses a single handle per window approach again...

Some worth mentioning MSEgui components and features:

"twidgetgrid" in what one can place any edit widget in order to form a data
column of the given type and where 1'000'000 rows are no problem.

"tstatfile" which can be selected into the "statfile" properties of all edit
widgets and many other components in order to make an automatic store and
restore of the state between sessions. In order to make an entry form which
saves its state simply place the necessary editwidgets
("tstringedit", "tintegeredit", "trealedit"...) and a "tstatfile" on the form
and select the statfile component in the "statfile" properties of the form
and the editwidgets, no code required.
"trttistat" which automatically transfers data from/to an options object
to/from an edit dialog or a file.

A flexible and really working ;-) window docking system.
"tdockpanelformcontroller" which manages docking panels and there appropriate
menu items and state storing and restoring.

Really working visual form inheritance and subforms. Ouch, this was hard to
achieve! ;-)

A sophisticated and hardware accelerated skinning system mostly by property
settings
in "tframe", "tface", "tframcomp", "tfacecomp", "tfontcomp", "tfacelist"
and "tskincontroller".

The "ifi"-components in order to connect GUI and business logic without the
need of a OPF-framework.
The sophisticated database access-, in-memory data- and edit-components which
allows to make complex DB-applications without the need of an OPF-framework.

MSEgui used 16bit strings from start. Lazarus only now thinks about to
implement utf-16 too. I see from your name that you probably will have some
fight with utf-8 of Lazarus and fpGUI.
Please don't believe the statements that utf-16 is not sufficient to simplify
character access by index, it is not true, experience shows the opposite.

There are many more.
*** Maybe MSEide+MSEgui users can add there own preferences? ***.

An example of a commercial product made with MSEide+MSEgui is here:

http://www.acosys.co.id/video-tutorial
http://www.acosys.co.id/

Another one is "Podpiska" from IvankoB. IvankoB, can you write some words
about "Podpiska"?

*** Maybe some users can add their own applications
 made with MSEide+MSEgui? ***

Concerning contributors, there are possible contributors but sadly they don't
want to work with git. :-(
Development of MSEide+MSEgui has been started in 1999, you see it is no flash
in the pan. ;-)