Hello Fred,

I have a question concerning your extended filedialogx.

I've run into severe problems with its statfile handling. It seems to me
that saving the layout dependent settings simply cannot work. This concerns
such things as display of icons, places column and even the settings bar
itself. They are meant to be written to the statfile by the
filedialogxcontroller when the dialog is closed. THe values of the form
elements are meant to be passed by separate variables defined in the
controller, but they cannot be set before the time when the controller's
writestat functions execute. This means the current values will never be
written to the statfile, although the controller can correctly _read_ the
old values every time when executed, and will thus always present the state
when the application was designed. That was - perhaps - fine for the old
dialog structure, where no user mede modifications were intended anyway.
It is a severe road block for "my" newdialogs, where this ought to be a
major feature.
There seem to be several possible ways to resolve this issue. One is, of
course, directly changing all of these variables immediately if they're
modified by the form; this could work already, because I had to add a
reference to the controller anyway. But I would like to avoid this heavy
duplicating of data and the requirement to carefully keep track of all
interdependent instances and the error potential of missing any of them.
Another measure might be to simply giving the controller direct access to
the form. Totally contrary to the naming, the controller has NO CONTROL of
the form it shows! Even though it can be created by its "execute" function,
there's no relation to the form's contents except only within this
function. And, interestingly, as of my observations, the statwrite call
that occurs there takes places immediately when the form is closed and way
before the layout variables are modified for a write back action that won't
happen later.
A third resort from the dilemma could be to introduce a call back into the
filedialogxcontroller letting the form insert its own statwrite (and -read)
function for these settings, which even would make the duplication of the
pertaining variables expendable, also removing the neccessity to constantly
assinging these values to and from their shadow copies.

And now to the begging question: What Do You Think?

Happy computing!