On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Kuba <kubaraczkow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Thanks for the info. That sounds a bit better than the chip replacement
> (though I will try that if nothing else works, thanks Crazy Casta).
>
> Did you come across an instruction to follow this procedure? Can it be done
> with mspdebug?
> As far as I read this morning about BSL operations, the mass erase deletes
> both program and information data. Isn't loss of information data going to
> bring me more trouble? :)

INFO is really just set aside flash.   It isn't really all that special.
At least that is true on the older parts, x1, x2, x5 families.  I suspect
that is still true with the FR parts but haven't looked.

For example what is in one of the INFO sections for the 2618 is calibration
constants.   But these constants are determined by TI for 3.0V, such and
such a frequency, and such and such a temperature.  Usable for sure but not
necessarily the ambient that one will actually be using the beast at.

For example, we are using a 5438a and there are also calibration constants
but we can't use them because we are running the chip at 1.8V, 38 degrees
F, and 4 MHz.   So the constants are crap for us.

Bottom line is it depends on what is the INFO area.   But most likely it
won't hurt you.

eric

> Best regards,
> Kuba
>
> On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Daniel Beer <dlb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 02:34:05PM +0100, Kuba wrote:
> > > I am new to the list, trying to dive into the world of MSP430 and I
> > > already thank you for the great work around mspgcc/mspdebug. Thanks!
> > >
> > > After playing a bit with the original Launchpad I also purchased the
> > > FRAM experimenters board ( MSP-EXP430FR5739 ) mostly because it has
> > > lots of outputs/peripherals and onboard accellerometer, so I can
> > > extend my play/learntime without making boards myself.
> > >
> > > However, from start I got an error in programming using mspdebug
> > > (newest git version) that the device cannot be erased. I found
> > > somewhere else, that this usually ends in the device actually being
> > > erased but not responding. A solution was to unplug/replug the board
> > > to USB, load the program and run. This worked, though it is pretty
> > > annoying to need to replug the board.
> > > Any idea what causes an after-erase error?
> > >
> > > Worse, though, is that after a number of such programming cycles I
> > > received a message that the "security fuse is blown (error 30)" which
> > > disabled my access to the board alltogether. Problem is, I did not ask
> > > for fuse blow (a probably difficult JTAG procedure?) so how on earth
> > > could that happen?
> > >
> > > This all is happening under linux (mint debian edition). If I try to
> > > debug the board from Windows (CCS 5.1) I simply get message that the
> > > board is not accessible.
> > >

> > > Is it possible I really blew the security fuse by accident? If so, I
> > > guess my only option is to buy a new board, right? Any other way to
> > > check for that? (from CCS itself perhaps?)
> >
> > Hi Kuba,
> >
> > A few people have run into this problem. I'm not sure what causes it,
> > but it is recoverable if you access the chip via the bootstrap loader
> > and perform a mass erase.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Daniel
> >
> > --