Thanks Valentin for the encouragement :)

This is what I tried today. I shorted out pin number 2 and 4 of the
14-pin JTAG header on the board with a small piece of wire soldered
underneath, plugged in the FET and tried both mspdebug and
MSP430Flasher from TI but still no joy. I still get the same error on
both "Could not set device Vcc" :(