I have finally managed to get the FET talking to my board! I
downgraded the FET to V2 and then upgraded it again to V3 using TI's
MSPFlasher. Now I can make a JTAG connection to the board using both
MSPFlasher and mspdebug.

I have one more query related to this. My board comes pre-programmed
with software from the vendor and is functioning properly. Now before
I start playing with it, I want to read out an image that I can use to
restore the board to its working state if I mess up. Looking at the
memory map of MSP430F5528 in the data sheet, the flash memory starts
at 0x4400. So doing a "hexout 0x4400 0xbbff defaultimage.hex" on
mspdebug prompt will give me a restorable image? Or do I have to do
something else to achieve this?

Thanks