At 11:51 PM 9/30/98 +0100, you wrote:

>>   The damn game sucks to death. 3/4 of
>>    the time I spent with it was lost in boring battle modes.
>
>Sorry, but in the game I don't dead 3/4 of time. I like battle modes. They
>are like FF1 o Dragon Slayer VI in MSX. I like this battle style.

I like FF7 battles too, because they are semi-realtime. Although it's not
totally realtime (sometimes time is frozen during animations, especially
summons), the time pressure makes the player much more involved in the
battle. Who is the first to implement this on MSX?

>> It is simply stupid to wander in a pre-rendered scenario and
>>    randomly "step on" enemies.
>
>But in a lot of non-computer RPG, random enemies exist.

Randomly generated is not the problem, the problem is that you cannot see
them coming (the "step on" part). Going through old parts of the game can
get very boring because you step on enemies that are no longer a challenge
but do slow you down. If you get far in the game, this problem is addressed
by the "enemy away" materia, which decreases the change of random encounters.

>About what you said of CRPG, adventure, ...
>This is a semantic question. There is not a mathematical definition of this
>terms... is fact, CRPG sounds very strange to me. IMHO, a game is an RPG
>when you can create a character, and then play an adventure with it. And it
>is an adventure when character is created. But this is a semantic question.

I think CyberKnight uses the term CRPG to distinguish computerized RPGs
from  non-computer RPGs, the ones where you gather a number of people, sit
around a table and play using imagination, paper, dice and miniatures.
In most CRPGs, you have very little control over the story. For example,
most of the times your party members will be predetermined. Even if you can
choose, the choice of members or skills only affects combats, but not the
story.
In real roleplaying, it's possible to choose a lot of different paths
(actually infinite, but a computer can probably never match that). Also,
what your character is like actually influences the story, some people you
meet will like your character and some will not, and those attitudes will
change if you do certain things. These elements are non-existant in most
CRPGs.
This is partly caused by the fact that it's difficult to make a good model
that allows all those possiblities and still keep the game playable and
interesting. But it's also caused by the fact that game designers give it a
low priority. Somehow they (Square included) think pretty graphics are more
important.

>Me too. DOOM, Duke Nukem, Quake... they are BORING. They are very very
>BORING... I think that PC programmers think that a 3D shadowed light >gouraud
>phong in real time clipped in a 3D spherical window with hardware
>acceleracion is fun. I think not... ;-)

There is one aspect of those games that I do like: the multiplayer mode.
They made multiplayer games on PC popular and after that more games (in
other genres) included a multiplayer mode.

Bye,
                Maarten