At 10:14 AM 7/14/99 +0200, you wrote:

>>But if I run an MSX1 game on BrMSX, using a video card with TV-out and an
>>MSX joystick connected to the PC, and I hide the PC itself from sight, can
>>you tell the difference with a real MSX1?
>
>Did I hear Turing Test? *grin* (OK, someone already used that joke B4,
>but I liked it).

Not a joke: it really is similar to the Turing Test...

>The problem is that sound chips like the FM Pac can't be emulated
>correctly, since the A/D Convertor of (for example) the SoundBlaster
>can't produce FM sounds. It is very hard to emulate the FM Pac, which is
>kind of an analogue synth.

FM != analogue   (or "FM <> analogue" for BASIC programmers)

OPLx use D/A converters just like PC sound cards do. All the synthesis is
digital, and can be emulated perfectly.

Maybe the different sound is due to different D/A converters and filters.
For example when you emulate an SCC using a MoonSound, there is a lot less
noise and distortion, so it sounds differently, although the digital part
is emulated accurately.

Bye,
                Maarten