> Umm... it seems to me that if it was published it was meant for the common
> good, and therefor has no copyright at all. It would be useless to publish
> copyrighted design, because then it's completely useless. Well, maybe the
> author wanted to boost or something, but somehow I doubt that.

Ehhh...

I do not think so, you may learn from it, but you may not steal from it.
I think almost every magazine/software/hardware has something in it that
will tell you that you may not copy, re-publish, modify, etc.

If I remember well, the purpose of the article about the slotexpander in the
MCM
was to document the slotexpander for people who want to repair it.
This had something to do with the reduced activities of the hardware people
behind
the slotexpander.

So, the purpose was to enable people to repair the interface, and not to
give it away
for re-production.

At least, I remember it that way.

But another nice example, you know CSS??? The content protection mechanism
of
DVD? Someone has hacked some code out of a Xing mpeg player and used it to
decrypt the DVD stream.
The sourcecode of the DeCSS program is used as evidence in the lawsuit. They
do
not try to punish him for hacking, but for using copyrighted software and
keys.
One of the nicest thing about this evidense is that al the papers are
published on the
net, this including the sourcecode of DeCSS.
Do you dare to re-use this sources to make a nice program around it? If the
copyrights
are removed by just publishing it, you could use it.
But I do not think it will work this way!

Greetings from Erik Maas