I am wondering... The possibility to mark clusters as 'bad' exists in the
FAT. However, I have never seen a utility on MSX to do a 'surface scan' (as
SCANDISK puts it). Now, I can program it myself, however I need a few
details.

- I think I have to directly access the DISKROM, since I want to avoid the
A/R/I-messages. How to access the DISKROM, and how to read absolute sectors
from a drive (not from the entire harddisk please because then I also will
have to process the partition table).
- And to avoid problems with FAT16 etc. (Improve has to be rewritten for
that, by the way), how can I recognize the FAT system??? I bet I'll have to
read the correct value from the Dos DPB (Disk Parameter Block) function...
What value should I check for? I can guess it but I'd like to hear it
'officially', then I'll be sure about it.

~Grauw "John DeLancie is cool"

--
 email me: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or ICQ: 10196372
      visit my homepage at http://grauw.blehq.org/