>>I am wondering... The possibility to mark clusters as 'bad' exists in the
>>FAT. However, I have never seen a utility on MSX to do a 'surface scan'
(as
>>SCANDISK puts it). Now, I can program it myself, however I need a few
>>details.
>
>  I have one that does exactly this. (-;
>
>  My actual problem is that we have to cope with several
> problems doing this, using CHKDSK, BADSCAN (this is the
> "badsector searcher and marker") and this will simply
> make impossible to use IMPROVE, because IMPROVE doesn't
> defrag partitions with bad sectors.
>
>  I was developing an integrated CHKDSK+BADSCAN+IMPROVE,
> but I just had not enough time do unassemble CHKDSK.
>
>   If you want to, I can send you BADSCAN, that only marks unused
> sectors, or I can send you my "updated" version that marks
> used sectors also (using a new command line option

Yes, yes, I want it. Please send it ([EMAIL PROTECTED])...

Does it also 'relocate' used sectors before it marks them as 'bad'???
Otherwise the file sizes etc. will become incorrect, and the fat will become
quite a mess, resulting in more damage than only the file itself. This
damage can by the wasy quite easily be undone.

I think (because of what you told me) not. In that case I'd prefer to have
the info I requested so that I can make my own program. Then I'm sure it
does what I want (and what it should do).

 email me: [EMAIL PROTECTED] or ICQ: 10196372
      visit my homepage at http://grauw.blehq.org/