> > I don't know much about IP either, but Adriano Camargo Rodrigues da Cunha
> > knows (and implemented it in UZIX) and Laurens Holst is now learning (and
> > implementing) it. Guys, please enlighten us.
> Pfff... It's really very simple. An IP packet consists of a header

        IP packets are a header plus data. Header is, at least, 20 bytes.
Data is 0 or more bytes. TCP packets are a header plus data. TCP header
is, at least, 20 bytes. Data is 0 or more bytes.
        So, a TCP/IP packet is, at least, 40 bytes (no data, only the IP
and TCP headers). UZIX TCP/IP Stack doesn't use any TCP/IP options,
because they are quite useless for TCP/IP clients (except the Maximum
Transmission Unit option, that is 4 bytes).
        A datalink protocol should be able to handle packets with a
minimum of 40 bytes for TCP/IP. The maximum size is important too (since
sending packets of 50 bytes, for example, just allow transmission of, in
the best case, 10 bytes of data). 256 bytes is a good choice, and is not a
so big value.

Adriano Camargo Rodrigues da Cunha               ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Engenharia de Computacao - UNICAMP
http://www.adrpage.cjb.net           http://if.you.dont.like.msx.usuck.com

* The faith remove montains, substituting them by abisms. - CDA *

****
Problems? contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] See also http://www.faq.msxnet.org/