> > Any idea why the ASCII player needs a 500MHz Pentium even for emulating
> > simple MSX-1 games like castle ex
>
> If I am correct, the player runs into a special operating system.
> This operating system has to be emulated on the PC,
> soo you're running an emulation of an emulation.

The OS is actually called Intent, from Elate if I'm not mistaking, and it's a
JAVA OS. I don't know how much it's optimized and if it uses JIT, but basically
Java can be very good. Also, it doesn't nessecarily have to be too slow for
emulation purposes. There is an GBA emulator for PC (and also other systems)
called BoyCott Advance. Now the author has also ported it to Java, and it runs
at 60fps on a machine which normally (with intel instead of java code) runs the
emulator at 140fps. So that's quite a decent loss... Also consider that MSX
emulation is much more easier in terms of speed.