Christian Schneider wrote:
I currently maintain a Howto for Muscle setup with IBM JCop Javacards at
http://www.liquid-reality.de/main/projects/musclecard_jcop_howto
you can sure find some parts of the Howto that also apply to your setup.

Thank you, I am working through it now. So far I have tried dropping the SCM scr331 rpm driver in favor of the ccid driver. I know now that the ccid-0.4.0 from linuxnet.com is broken--it makes an empty Info.plist, and even after I generate a good Info.plist file it segfaults on shutdown, killing the usb as it exits.

Next I tried the ccid-0.4.1 tarball from alioth and although it makes a proper Info.plist it also kills my usb with a segfault when it shuts down:

pcscdaemon.c:144 SVCServiceRun: Client 6 has disappeared.
eventhandler.c:378 EHSpawnEventHandler: Card Removed From SCR 331 0 0
pcscdaemon.c:502 Preparing for suicide
winscard_msg.c:235 SHMProcessEvents: Select returns with failure: Interrupted system call
pcscdaemon.c:179 SVCServiceRun: Error in SHMProcessEvents
readerfactory.c:1683 RFCleanupReaders: entering cleaning function
readerfactory.c:1688 Stopping reader: SCR 331 0 0
eventhandler.c:123 EHDestroyEventHandler: Stomping thread.
eventhandler.c:150 EHDestroyEventHandler: Thread stomped.
readerfactory.c:1441 RFUninitializeReader: Attempting shutdown of SCR 331 0 0.
ifdhandler.c:166:IFDHCloseChannel lun: 0
commands.c:202 Card absent or mute
hotplug_libusb.c:378 Removing USB device[0]: 001:002
eventhandler.c:114 EHDestroyEventHandler: Thread already stomped.
readerfactory.c:1441 RFUninitializeReader: Attempting shutdown of SCR 331 0 0.
ifdhandler.c:166:IFDHCloseChannel lun: 0
readerfactory.c:1263 RFUnloadReader: Unloading reader driver.
Segmentation fault

(now lsusb has no entry for my reader)

For now I will continue with the SCM driver so I don't have to reboot to get my usb back...unless someone knows of a way to reset the usb?

Fedora Core 1 has nptl backported into the 2.4 kernel, not sure if that would catch anyone by suprise or ???. The ccid and SCM drivers both return the proper ATR when tested with testpcsc.

Will ask more questions as I get stuck,
John