From: "Philippe C. Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: MUSCLE <muscle@lists.musclecard.com>
Subject: Re: [Muscle] SCU3 released
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:41:38 -0600

Peter Williams wrote:

I dont get it. Its a classical (removable) hard drive device. Little has changed here since ATA cards, and 16 bit plug and play!!

The main difference here is that one installs the application on the flash drive, not the PC. The application/application data is available on the PC _when_ the drive is plugged and gone when it is unplugged: nothing get installed on the PC.

==> any vanilla XP PC out of the box will run your application

I have regular flash drives but cannot do that with them ... am I missing something ?

While memory sticks, CF cards, ATA cards (me old!), smartmedia devices are just flash, with a FAT support licensed from Microsoft, the USB frm factor of the same flash devices in the US shops tend to come with applications. All the finger-print enable USB flash drives have come with form-filling password managers for years. Whats interesting recently, is that through USB-interfaced file-based mailboxes, the Pentium application (such as Sandisk's GINA plugin) can interact with the matching algorithms on the CPU of the bio-capable flash drive, as a USB peer (versus a dumb flash data store).

So, in the U3 case, which CPU executes the application?

If its the Pentium CPU, then one presumes the application is a Win32 application, loads into virtual memory, may or may not write to other data stores, is subject to the windows execution model, and the Intel instruction-level security model, and may or may not require Windows/.NET security privileges to get its application work done. Presumably, one needs to sign the media files, so that upon loading windows trusts the publisher using Windows/W3c/java code signing mechanisms, assigns privileges authomatically, runs the PE image -once loaded - through the virus checker, etc. such that the user see none of the behind the scenes activty ensuring integrity.

Are we talking about a USB flash drive in which there are autorun files created for the .exe files stored on the media, just like on a CD R-W?

If the application is running on the CPU of the flash controller yet images on a remote desktop over (wireless) USB channel, thats more interesting. We met an entrepreneur earlier in the year who wanted to do this.

Regards,

Philippe

For a short time, I worked on a recent project in which a combination ST22 secure core and an IDE bridge controller were SOC'ed together to make a smartcard-enabled hard drive. The smartcard had greater function that merely arming the bridge chip, like some of the finger sensor-enabled hard drives you see in the (mobile) military applications - and like the finger-enabled flash readers (and USB boot drives) you buy now for 79$ in US shops (from sandisk, lexar, etc).