Philippe C. Martin wrote:
A U3 device (www.u3.com) is a flash drive which allows for applications installation: you plug the U3 device in the USB port and your application is available. If the application does its job correctly, application data is stored on the U3 device, not on the PC.

This thing sounds a lot like a BlackDog
http://www.projectblackdog.com/product.html
Which can give you a whole (slow) linux system, available to poke at your host windows system.
What makes it different?

Some of the issues I have been facing in the smart card business are:
1) some application data cannot be written in the card because of space (and some of the data does not need high security) 2) potential customers are often worried about software deployment - that is especially true for my applications as Python and wxWidget are not part of regular OS distributions (yes, Python is for Linux) 3) because of 1) the smart card application (card + software) is less mobile as the less vital data is stored on the PC (maybe encrypted with the card, but still stuck on the PC) 4) setting up smart card demos at a client site/business branches can be very painfull, and salespeople are somewhat reluctant to hack PCs (another painfull lesson)

I just feel that there are applications where a combinaison of a smart card and a U3 device (they call them smart drives) would greatly improve deployment/mobility issues.

Putting my solutions aside, I feel a MUSCLE application on a U3 device can make a lot of sense.

U3 drives can be found already in large stores in the US (and I live in OK! - I do not know about other countries but I was told about U3 by a smart card professional based in France).

I hope that is clearer - I often get excited about technology and sometimes think I have found a great solution were people see no business value whatsoever :-)

Regards,

Philippe