For what it's worth, if you /must/ use Chrome..

I've heard support folks talk about how Chrome had it's own SSL
implementation,
and that caused problems with some smart card middlewares.

One solution would be to start chrome with the --use-system-ssl
command-line argument,
to make it fall "back" to the native SSL instead of it's own.

I've also found this one:

http://code.google.com/p/eid-mw/wiki/ChromeLinux

Although it's not about cac, it describes how to enable a pkcs11 module
in Chrome.. might be useful..
substitute 'Coolkey' for 'Belgium eID' and the path of the coolkey
pkcs11 module for '/usr/lib/libbeidpkcs11.so'.

WKR
-f