https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duWX4RAFWIo

> machine and deep learning could be utililized for spotting point sources
> there, even their distance, and quite certainly recurrent neural networks in
> time would be well suited towards such a task. In particular if you do

Indeed. We have very good understanding of what to expect in acoustic
signals and lots of opprtunities to extract environmental features in
real-time.

Automatic auditory scene analysis is a natural evolution from
basic "identifcation" machine listening.

Although even that reached some impressive goals the last few years
as you can see from Dan Stowell's work on identifying birds [1],
and the NN recogniser they built at Cornell [2].

[1] machine-listening.eecs.qmul.ac.uk/bird-audio-detection-challenge/

[2] birdnet.cornell.edu