"Beyond" needs to be defined. It may be worth remembering that the mostly standard pan law is predicated on the virtual source passing along an arc of a circle centred on the listener (constant power), so "going beyond" has to be defined in that context - the motion between the speakers with "normal" panning is not a straight line between them. Such an illusion would be totally dependent on a specific listener distance; i.e. how much louder/nearer the sound gets in the middle.

One simple device that may help give the illusion of increasing distance (and especially when simulating movement) is to reduce the level when panning "beyond" following the inverse-square law. Much would depend on how much further away "beyond" is meant to be. But this soon takes you away from the notion of a generic pan law into electro-acoustic composition territory.

Otherwise, you are looking at hrtf plus crosstalk cancellation (some techniques such as ambiophonics claim to be able to create the sense of full surround using just the two speakers), or at some other more or less sophisticated psycho-acoustic illusion, which as per usual will likely not work for everyone.

Richard Dobson

On 07/02/2012 10:49, Didier Dambrin wrote:
I've never heard of it, but it's interesting. You mean the pan would
become a 360deg rotary, going from center to left, to stereo-wide
center, to right & back to center?
In that case I'd just use the same law as for the front/left/right
(which could be any), only with shifting for the lower half of the circle.

-----Message d'origine----- From: Ross Bencina
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 11:20 AM
To: A discussion list for music-related DSP
Subject: [music-dsp] stereo-wide pan law?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there's a "standard" way to calculate pan laws for
stereo-wide panning ?

By "stereo-wide" I mean panning something beyond the speakers by using
180-degree shifted signal in the opposite speaker. For example, for
"beyond hard left" you would output full gain signal to the left
speaker, and some inverted phase signal to the right speaker.

I know this is a somewhat dubious method but I'm wondering if there are
known pan laws that handle this case.