Thanks guys.  I was also thinking a Moog style filter with first order
sections inside a feedback loop might work me, since it performs well
under high rates of coefficient changes.

It seems like you could make a fully general 2nd order filter by using
two first order shelf filters.  In addition to the typical low and
high pass Moog filters you could also synthesize peaking and shelving.
 For peaking you would make one section a low-shelf and the other a
hi-shelf with equal shelving gains.  Then you would use the the global
feedback to adjust the Q.

But one problem with that approach is I don't have parametric
equations for setting the coefficients, although I would guess it
wouldn't be too hard to figure out.  By chance, would any of you done
the math for that?

-Chris