I second that. Make sure you're trying to ramp to the target coefficients over a sensible period of at least a few milliseconds and update the coefficients every sample if you can afford the cycles.

Also, if the filter types are very different, you might want to think about ramping to a bypass set of coefficients first, then ramp to the second filter type.

Rob

-----Original Message----- From: Ross Bencina
Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 8:17 AM
To: A discussion list for music-related DSP
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] IIR Coefficient Switching Glitches

On 3/11/2013 3:22 PM, Laurent de Soras wrote:
Chris Townsend wrote:

Any ideas?  Recommendations?

Probably this:
<http://cytomic.com/files/dsp/SvfLinearTrapOptimised.pdf>

Consider ramping interpolated coefficients at audio rate to smooth out
parameter changes. I'm pretty sure that Andy's SVF is stable with audio
rate coefficient modulation.

Consider interpolating something closer to cf and q rather than
interpolating the raw coefficients.

Ross.