Frank Sheeran,

>From my reading of wikipedias page on phase distortion synthesis, my method
is definitely related. The main differences are that I use two modulators
(master oscillators), and a cos^2 window instead of a triangular wave form.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if Casio CZ synthesis was an inspiration for
my hard sync. Alas the details are lost in the mist of time...

For those interested, I have generated a 4 second mp3 (66 kB) so you can
listen for yourselves without having to compile and run:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/285841/hs2014.mp3

cheers,