On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:56 AM, Emanuel Landeholm
<emanuel.landeh...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]
> 16 bits and above though... Color me a skeptic. I'm sure it kind
> of makes sense to apply some form of dithering when rendering a critically
> sampled mix to 16 bits. This way you can turn the volume knob all the way
> up and listen to that lovely 1 LSB (-96dB) FS signal without the ugly
> "correlation noise". But how much of music/sound is really sitting just
> above the noise floor?

Well, dithering may not really matter much these days, as most CDs are
compressed so hard they can't be played loud anyway... :-) However, if
you have something with some dynamics left in, and try to play it
loud, it will be blatantly obvious whether it's dithered or not. You
probably won't notice the shaped dither noise unless you actively look
for it, but there's no way you can miss the GSM-ish feeping in quiet
sections and fades of a non-dithered CD.

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate

.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.
|   http://consulting.olofson.net          http://olofsonarcade.com   |