>So in the digital sense, or in combination with the analog domain,
>is it reasonable to think about "correctable" operations, which as
>it were can be inverted, so that applying a digital signal transformation
>*and* it's converse, we end up with the same signal or something similar.

I think you mean to write "inverse" rather than "converse" there, but the
basic answer is yes.

>Of course that first of all leads to the necessary condition that or
signal
>transformations are a bijection, which is hard considering most of these
>operations will be filters, and in the digital domain, except for a few
pathetic
>cases, these will have bit depth issues.

The bijection condition for LTI filters basically means that none of the
roots are on the unit circle. Which you'd want anyway, since otherwise the
inverse filter is going to be unstable. That said, you *can* actually
invert filters with roots on the unit circle (or anywhere else) by using
z-transform techniques (i.e., evaluate all of your integrals on a contour
other than the unit circle which doesn't contain any of the roots),
although there are various practical limitations associated with that as
well.

Moreover, indeed, bit-depth issues are the main thing here. No digital
system can ever be truly linear, due to finite word-length. Typically
we assume that the bit depth is big enough that we can ignore that, but you
can certainly construct cases where it shows up. For example, suppose we
hit a signal with a very aggressive (but invertible) low pass filter, which
drives the high frequency content below the noise floor implied by the bit
depth. Then if we run the output through the inverse of the filter, we
won't get back the original high frequency content - instead we'll get end
up amplifying the noise floor back up so it becomes audible. Running the
filters in the opposite order might well work, though (supposing the first
filter doesn't run out of headroom to amplify the band in question). This
effect can come up even with relatively mild filters, depending on the
content of the signals being processed - if the high frequency content is
only a few bits above the noise floor to begin with, then even a gentle
low-pass response is going to submerge that content below the noise floor
and render it unrecoverable.

>So if we have N digital poles, can we create N digital zeros at the same
>frequencies, convolve those two filters and arrive at a digital wire ?

Convolving an all-pole filter's response with its inverse is always going
to result in the identity system (theoretically). And not a delayed
identity system, but the canonical one with zero delay. But that doesn't
necessarily imply that we can run a signal through an all-pole filter, and
then run the output through the inverse filter, and end up with a digital
wire (even allowing for a few LSBs error to account for round-off effects).
For this to work, we need a further assumption that finite word length
effects are not having a significant impact in either of the two filters.
If they are, then the system is no longer approximately linear, and so its
output is not explained by the convolution integral, and so the convolution
of the two filter responses then fails to describe the operation of the
chain of the two filters. And that assumption depends on both the response
of the filter in question, and the content of the signals being processed.
In particular, signals and/or filters with a large spectral dynamic range
require special care.

In practice, this all generally works fine if the bit-depth used for
intermediate processing is significantly larger than the one used for final
rendering, and we avoid filters with aggressive frequency responses. I.e.,
a gentle EQ that compensates for deviations in a microphone frequency
response is unlikely to cause any problems. But attempting to invert a
system with (for example) a strong low-pass response is asking for trouble.